I believe God.
I also believe experts.
And experts tell us that during a pandemic, such as the COVID-19 we are currently experiencing, SOCIAL DISTANCING is one of the few and most effective ways of slowing and containing the spread of the disease.
We live in extraordinary times; and extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.
SOCIAL DISTANCING includes:
- INCREASING physical space between individuals (at least six feet);
- WORKING from home;
- CLOSING schools and colleges;
- VISITING relatives and friends electronically, not personally;
- CANCELLING or POSTPONING events and gatherings (whether social, cultural, religious, or sports and entertainment).
During the Great Bubonic Plague (Black Death) which devastated Europe in the 14th through 16th centuries, the great Reformer Martin Luther had this to say:
“Therefore, I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance infect and pollute others, and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others.”
Our great spiritual father had faith in God – and in SOCIAL DISTANCING too.
I am grateful that almost all of my upcoming events and travels have been cancelled.
Under God’s grace, I plan to use this extraordinary time to:
- BOND with my wife and sons more (I am not even visiting my elderly parents who live less than a hundred meters away);
- SLEEP better;
- READ and WRITE more;
- PRAY and MEDITATE deeper; and, through it all,
- FIND myself and BE FOUND by God.
I hope you too will follow the SOCIAL DISTANCING being STRONGLY advised by the experts and authorities who know more than us and care deeply for us.
Be distant SOCIALLY.
Be safe PHYSICALLY.
Be renewed SPIRITUALLY.
– Kethoser (Aniu) Kevichusa